Your privacy is important to us. KVH Industries, Inc. and its subsidiaries and affiliates (collectively “KVH,” “we,” “us” or “our”) is a global company and we process your personal data when you interact with us by visiting our website, purchasing our products or using our services. Every time we process your personal data we do so by fully respecting your privacy and your other rights and freedoms.+ Learn More
KVH is a manufacturer of solutions that provide global high-speed Internet, television, and voice services via satellite to mobile users at sea and on land as well as a leading provider of commercially licensed entertainment including news, sports, movies, and music to commercial and leisure customers in the maritime, hotel, and retail markets. We develop and distribute training films and e-Learning computer-based training courses to commercial maritime customers. We are also a premier manufacturer of high-performance navigational sensors and integrated inertial systems for defense and commercial inertial navigation applications.
KVH is committed to protecting the privacy and security of your personal information (described below in Information We Collect).
- Our websites (individually and collectively, our "Website"), including this website kvh.com, kvhsuperyacht.com, ipmobilecast.com, mini-VSAT.net, minivsat.com, kvhmobileworld.com, kvhmediagroup.com, kvhstudios.com, Crewtoo.com, myKVH.com, traininglink.kvh.com, videotel.com, and videoteltraining.com; and
- The services and products KVH makes available pursuant to agreements with subscribers, their service providers and authorized users (individually and collectively the "Services").
Information We Collect
By "personal data," we understand this means any information regarding an identified or identifiable individual. Depending on the context of your interactions with KVH, we collect and use different types of personal data. We may use personal data from potential candidates for employment as well as personal data from website visitors, prospective clients and/or providers using our services through our websites for registration of services or cookies analytics.+ Learn More
- Information collected from you when you browse our website: Through certain technologies employed by our Website, we collect non-personally identifiable information about you. For more details about this type of data collection, please refer to the Cookies Policy posted on our Website.
- Information collected when using our products or services: When we or our partners provide certain services, we may obtain your physical location data. For example, when using mini-VSAT or using myKVH.com, we collect data identifying the actual location of a physical address or connected device using information such as GPS data, geocodes, latitude and longitude information, and images of the various locations. We supplement this data with your disclosed information about your location (such as your ZIP or postal code) to provide you with content that may be of interest to you. If you provide information about other individuals authorized to use your subscriptions account, you represent you have permission from these individuals. KVH disclaims any legal duty to verify the accuracy or completeness of any personal information provided to KVH.
We do not knowingly collect personal information on children under age 13 without the verifiable permission of a parent or guardian. The content of our Website and the products and services available are not intended for, or directed to, children under age 13. If you are under 13 years of age, then please do not use or access our Website or any of our other Websites at any time or in any manner.
How We Use the Information We Collect
The purposes for which we collect and use your personal data may vary depending on the type of relationship you have with us, such as if you apply for a position with our company, if you are one of our clients or service providers, or a user of one of our websites. KVH always collects and uses personal data according to the purpose limitation principle. The use of personal data for new purposes will be consistent and meet your privacy expectations. Otherwise we will request your authorization.+ Learn More
KVH may use the information we obtain for:
- Recruitment: if you apply for a position with our company we will use your personal data to consider you for employment and to administer your account.
- Communications and account management: establish or activate your accounts, provision of services and manage our communications with you including providing appropriate technical support.
- Marketing and analytics: send newsletters, offers or programs that may be of interest to you, perform data analyses to determine usage patterns and the effectiveness of our sales, marketing and advertising.
- Business development: operate, evaluate and improve our business, including the analysis and enhancement of our products, services, and Website, and developing new products and services.
- Security: protect against, identify and prevent fraud and other criminal activity, claims and other liabilities.
- Administrative management: perform accounting, auditing, billing, reconciliation and collection activities.
- Compliance with laws: comply with applicable legal requirements and our policies.
We may also use the information we obtain about you in other ways which we provide specific notice or opt-out at the time of collection.
Legal Basis for Data Collection and Use
KVH only collects and uses personal data when there is a fair and legal basis for its collection and use, for instance, when the collection of personal data is necessary to enter into a contract, to meet our legitimate interests, to comply with legal obligations or when we have your consent.+ Learn More
The information we collect when we enter into a contract or business relationship with you, unless indicated otherwise, is mandatory to develop our contractual relationship and to comply with legal obligations. For instance, some tax laws, labor, anti-fraud or compliance laws require organizations to collect certain information that may vary depending on the local regulations. Without the required mandatory information, we would not be able to work with you or provide you our services.
Marketing activities are usually based on your consent or to an existing business relationship with us. However, you can opt-out of these communications anytime and free of charge.
When we use your personal data for our legitimate interests (e.g. security, business development, marketing, analytics), we always conduct a balancing test in order to ensure that data subject rights are not overridden.
Information We Share
At times, KVH engages third party contractors, service providers, and other vendors to help us accomplish our business objectives. There are other circumstances where we are required by law to disclose personal data to third parties such as public bodies or judicial authorities. California residents have the right to request information regarding the disclosure of their personal data.+ Learn More
KVH applies the storage limitation principle in order to retain personal data in our records only for the length of time required to fulfill the purpose for which the data was collected.+ Learn More
- According to our retention policy, we only keep personal data in our records as long as they are necessary for the purposes they have been processed. KVH adheres to our retention policy to determine how long we retain data, including personal data. The retention periods are established considering our legitimate business purposes and according to local regulations such as tax, employment law and other commercial regulations.
We offer you certain choices about how we communicate with you and how we use information that is collected from you. If you reside or otherwise find yourself in the territory of the EU, we are committed to facilitate and exercise rights granted by EU data protection law in a timely manner.+ Learn MoreYour Choices: If you have any inquiries or to exercise your rights and choices listed below, write to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us through our postal address or by telephone. Please be aware that to protect your security and privacy, KVH may take reasonable steps to verify your identity prior to making changes to your personal information. Modifying or deleting your personal information may affect our ability to provide services to you.
- Right to access your own personal data: you have the right to obtain confirmation of whether and how we process your personal data, as well as the right to obtain a copy of this data by contacting us by email at email@example.com.
- Erasure, correction, objection and other requests: You have the right to obtain erasure, and correction of your personal data, under certain conditions. You may also object at any time to the processing of your personal information, based on your specific situation. In this case, we will assess your request and provide a reply in a timely manner, according to our legal obligations. For all the processing operations that are based on your consent, you can withdraw it at any time and we will stop those processing operations. To exercise these rights, send an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the words “UPDATE MY INFORMATION” in the subject line.
- Privacy rights under the EU regulation: In addition to the previous choices, if you reside or otherwise find yourself in the territory of the EU, KVH is committed to also facilitate the exercise of these other rights granted by EU data protection law in a timely manner:
- Right to portability: you have the right to obtain a copy of your personal data in a structured or commonly used and machine-readable format where technically feasible where we collected your data based on a contract or your consent. To exercise this right, send an email to email@example.com.
- Right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority: you have the right to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority of your habitual residence, place of work or place of the alleged infringement, if you are not satisfied with our response.
Cross Border Transfers
If you are located outside the United States and you interact with our Website, purchase our products or use our services, then your personal data is transferred to the United States. If you are based in the European Union or Switzerland, please be informed that the United States did not obtain an adequacy decision for the level of protection afforded to personal data. However, we provide appropriate safeguards for your data in the US, as we have self-certified under the EU-US Privacy Shield and under the Swiss-US Privacy Shield. Please see the following section for more information about the Privacy Shield.
- Privacy Shield
KVH has self-certified to the EU-US Privacy Shield Framework and the Swiss-US Privacy Shield Framework (“Privacy Shield”) for both commercial data and employee data. KVH is committed to comply with the Privacy Shield principles and guarantees when we receive personal data from the EU, the EEA, and Switzerland.+ Learn More
KVH processes all the personal data we receive in the United States from the EU, the EEA, and Switzerland in accordance with the following Privacy Shield Principles:
- Choices and Access: we provide you with different Choices, including the possibility to opt out before disclosing your personal data to a third party or if we intend to use it for unrelated purposes and the right of access to your own personal data
- Accountability for Onward Transfers: when your personal data is transferred to another organization, we take appropriate steps to sign the necessary contractual agreements to protect your personal data
- Security: we maintain reasonable and appropriate Security measures to protect your personal data from loss, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosures, alteration or destruction
- Data Integrity and Purpose Limitation: we only process personal data necessary for the relevant purposes of the processing above
- Data Retention: we keep personal data for no longer than is necessary to fulfill the defined purposes for which the personal data is processed.
- Recourse, Enforcement, and Liability: we provide different mechanisms for assuring compliance with these Principles according to the section below Dispute resolution.
- Right of access: you have the right to access your own data that has been transferred to KVH under the Privacy Shield.
- Right of correction: you can request the correction, or amendment of your personal data to keep the information accurate and up to date.
- Right to delete: you have the right to delete your personal data when it is no longer needed and there is no other legal ground that justifies its retention.
Disclosures and sharing of data
In accordance with our policy regarding disclosure and sharing of data, your personal data will only be shared as appropriate with third parties that process information on behalf of, or with, KVH in the U.S. If we disclose personal data received under the Privacy Shield to a third party, KVH ensures that the third party has contractual provisions that require the same safeguards as required under the Privacy Shield.
Under certain circumstances, KVH in the U.S. may remain liable for the acts of these third parties if they process personal data in a manner that is inconsistent with the Privacy Shield Principles.
Dispute resolution mechanisms
Complaint handling mechanism: If you have any inquiries or complaints about our handling of your personal data under the Privacy Shield, or you want to exercise your rights, please contact us by writing to the following address and we will respond to your inquiry promptly:
Attn. Felise Feingold
Vice President, General Counsel and Compliance Officer
KVH Industries, Inc.
50 Enterprise Center
Middletown, RI 02842 USA
- Recourse to Arbitration: If, after attempting to address privacy questions or concerns with KVH, you still have a specific privacy concern that has not been resolved, you may choose mediation by mediation of that concern by the neutral third party, American Arbitration Association, for the personal data that falls both under the EU-US Privacy Shield and the Swiss-US Privacy Shield. You can submit your unresolved privacy concern to the following address:
Submit your unresolved privacy concern to the American Arbitration Association for resolution:
American Arbitration Association
Case Filing Services
877.495.4185: Toll free
- Contact your Data Protection Authority: If you are based in the EU or the EEA, you may choose to contact your local Data Protection Authority (“DPA”), or the Swiss Federal Data Protection and Information Commissioner, if you are based in Switzerland. Your DPA or the Swiss Commissioner may refer your complaint directly to the Department of Commerce on your behalf. In this case, the Privacy Shield Team will then work to resolve your concern.
- US Department of Commerce's Privacy Shield Framework: you may also have the option to select binding arbitration for the resolution of your complaint under certain circumstances. For more information on binding arbitration, see US Department of Commerce's Privacy Shield Framework.
Enforcement and compliance
For purposes of enforcing compliance with the Privacy Shield, KVH is subject to the investigatory and enforcement authority of the US Federal Trade Commission. For more information about the Privacy Shield and to view KVH’s certification page, please visit the website of the US Federal Trade Commission on Privacy Shield.
If there is any conflict between the terms in this Privacy Statement and the Privacy Shield Principles, the Privacy Shield Principles shall govern.
KVH is committed to the security, confidentiality and integrity principle. We are committed to processing your data in a secure manner and have put in place commercially reasonable security measures to prevent the personal data we hold from being accidentally or deliberately compromised.+ Learn More
KVH uses industry standard administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect the personal information you provide against accidental, unlawful or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure or use. KVH’s Websites kvh.com and kvhmobileworld.com are SSL certified websites. SSL certificates are small data files that digitally bind an encryption key to a particular organization. KVH’s SSL certificates allow a secure connection from a web server to our browser.
We also conduct information risk assessments. We ensure that our staff understands the importance of protecting personal data, and we are responsibly managing access rights within the company. We include both physical security and IT security in our overall data security approach. We are diligent in selecting vendors that process personal data on our behalf so that they also ensure appropriate technical and organizational measures to protect the data.
KVH makes reasonable efforts to notify individuals and regulatory authorities, as required by law, if we reasonably believe that personal information has been stolen, disclosed, altered or infringed by an unauthorized person. We create and maintain a breach notification and reporting protocol.
We also endorse the concept of privacy by design which is an approach to projects that promotes privacy and data protection compliance from the outset. This means considering the privacy and security implications for any new project or process throughout its lifecycle.
Despite these security measures, you should be aware that it is impossible to guarantee absolute security with respect to information sent through the Internet.
If any term of this Agreement is to any extent invalid, illegal, or incapable of being enforced, such term shall be excluded; all other terms hereof shall remain in full force and effect+ Learn More
How to Contact Us
You may also contact us at:
Vice President, General Counsel & Compliance Officer
KVH Industries, Inc.
50 Enterprise Center
Middletown, RI 02842 USA
If you are located in Europe, you may contact us at:
Vice President, General Counsel & Compliance Officer
KVH Industries A/S
Kokkedal Industripark 2B
2980 Kokkedal, Denmark
Effective Date: July 30, 2018