Illuminating a New Era of Fiber Optic Gyro Performance
Groundbreaking KVH Photonic Integrated Chip (PIC) Reinvents FOG Technology
KVH’s new inertial systems with PIC Inside™ are designed to deliver superior reliability and survivability in the harshest environments while offering the critical precision navigational support that autonomous platforms and other applications require.Contact Us
A Revolution in Fiber Optic Gyro Technology
KVH’s new photonic integrated chip (PIC) technology reinvents FOG technology with a groundbreaking integrated planar optical chip that replaces individual fiber optic components. KVH gyros and inertial systems with PIC Inside are designed to deliver:
- 20 times higher accuracy than MEMS inertial measurement units
- Flexible, modular designs for easy integration
- Outstanding repeatability unit-to-unit
Photonics on a Chip: Consistent, Reliable & Cost-efficient
Photonic Chip-based Technology:
KVH's FOG Renaissance
Tech Talk: The Advantages of
Photonic Fiber Optic Gyros
KVH’s groundbreaking photonic chip technology1 overcomes numerous technological obstacles to meet the demanding requirements for autonomous platforms by:
- Incorporating complex elements onto a chip to maintain or improve accuracy and performance, as well as simplify production and remove hand work from the process
- Providing consistent components and manufacturing to ensure consistent performance and reliability
- Enabling mass-production of precision inertial systems
1Protected by U.S. Patent # 10,274,319. Additional patents pending.
Ensuring Performance through Rigorous Testing & Qualification
We rigorously test our new PIC technology to ensure superior performance, accuracy, and reliability.
- Part Level – Testing includes over temperature cycling, temperature and humidity, and shock and vibration, all run over multiple lots of parts to validate the repeatability and robustness of manufacturing
- Product Level – Testing is done across the complete set of performance specifications and environmental conditions and repeated over time to validate the design
Inertial Sensors are Critical
GPS signals can be blocked by buildings, terrain, tunnels, parking garages, and signage, or intentionally jammed. Self-contained FOG-based inertial sensors deliver situational awareness even when GPS is unavailable or jammed.
MEMS Fall Short
MEMS’ utilization of vibrating sensor technology (Coriolis effect) to measure rotation has inherent shortcomings including noise, poor bias stability, low bandwidth, and susceptibility to environment conditions.
KVH Inertial Technology Provides Safe, Precise Autonomous Navigation
KVH inertial sensors are spoof-proof and jam-proof because they use integrated gyros and accelerometers, not external signals.
Why did May Mobility Partner with KVH?
Hear from Andrew Dykman, Senior Field Autonomy Engineer
"The KVH IMU on our vehicle gives us detailed, accurate and low noise information about how we’re moving through the world. This allows us to align ourselves and other things in the environment such as pedestrians, cyclists and other cars."
Photonic Chip Technology-based Inertial Systems
Disruptive Technology for Safe, Precise Autonomous Navigation
KVH’s new photonic integrated chip (PIC) technology reimagines FOG technology by replacing individual fiber components with an innovative integrated planar optic chip. This results in a FOG that’s even more reliable and delivers superior repeatability unit-to-unit, essential for the safe, accurate performance of autonomous platforms.Read the eBook
KVH's premier IMU features an innovative photonic integrated chip for improved reliability and repeatability
Superior, Proven Performance
For the Most Demanding Environments and Applications
With improved reliability and environmental survivability over competing technologies, the P-1775 IMU features KVH's all-new, exclusive photonic integrated chip (PIC) technology, reimagining FOG technology by replacing individual fiber components with an innovative integrated planar optic chip.